Subject: Re: Scratched film - how to avoid
From: "Roy C. Zartarian" <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 10:45:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 16 Aug 1997, Ben Holmes wrote:

> This little thread on scratched film made me think about a problem I have
> had in the past, and how I solved it.
>
> I used to have a BAD scratching problem with my M cameras. It seemed that
> every roll I put through them ended up scratched. I started to look at the
> possible sources and by eliminating the obvious ones I have completely
> eliminated the problem.
[snip]
> Scratching by the lab usually happens when the film is run through a mounter
> or a neg carrier for prints, or if it is cleaned of water spots or scum.
>
> The most likely source for scratches on your film is your camera. Grit,
> dirt, fibers etc get inside your camera's back and lodge between the film
> and the pressure plate. These scratches usually run the length of the film,
> and are most often found on the base side.
[snip]
> Turn your camera bag inside out and wash the damn thing once in a while!
> Junk accumulates in the pockets and in the bottom - clean it out!

Ben has offered up a number of useful tips on addressing the problem of
film scratching.  The lab I formerly used for E6 got so bad that I now do
my E6 in a Jobo.

As for as pressure plates are concerned, I found that a soft cottom patch
dampened with film cleaner such as PEC-12 is an effective cleaner.  PEC 12
leaves a very minute amount of lubricant as well.

I'd also suggest that the felt on film cassettes be checked and cleaned of
dust before the film is loaded.  That material is a dust magnet especially
when one tosses the film without the plastic container into a pants
pocket.

And since today is laundry day, the bags are going into the wash.  I
assume that I should use cold water on a gentle cycle and let the bags air
dry.

Written by:	Roy C. Zartarian	| Prophets are not without honor
		25 Stuart Street	| except in their own country
		Newington, CT 06111 USA	| and in their own house.
		http://www.connix.com/~royzart