Subject: Re: later looks
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 18 Aug 97 01:01:24 EDT

Gary Todoroff wrote:

<< "Canada" (Nat'l Film Board of Canada, 1973) was sitting between "US Camera
1956" and Galen Rowell's "Mountain Light".>>>>

Sounds like it was resting with good company. :)

Hi Gary,

<<<I found "Canada" in a thrift store a year ago for $2 - a great buy on a
beautifully produced book. I especially liked your image, "Alberta Rancher" and
was also impressed by John De Visser's work. >>>>

Thank you. Both from myself and for "John D V." He's a very fine photographer.

<<<I noticed the dust jacket says, "This book was specially commissioned by the
Canadian Government in a limited edition for presentation to Her
Majesty Queen Elizabeth and Commonwealth leaders."  Did I find a bit of a
collector's item?>>>>>

At the Film Board we did several books as commemorative projects like "Canada"
for the Queen's visit and the Commonwealth Leaders. As far as being a collectors
item? Gee I don't think so, but then maybe in a few more years it could be, as
there weren't many copies printed. I'd hang on to it in any case.

One extremely fine book we produced called "Between Friends." was for the
American Bicentennial celebration.  It cost Canadian taxpayers about two million
dollars to produce as a gift to the American people. Copies were given as gifts
to schools and libraries throughout the US.

The only other one I might mention that truly is a master piece of photography,
"Canada. The Year of the Land." 1967 printing is without question a collectors
book if you can find one from the first printing. An awesome publication!  But
only the first printing! There was another one, but the quality doesn't touch
the first printing.

I heard of a copy being sold in easteran Canada recently for $500.00  and some
reports of others going for higher amounts. So keep an eye for that one.

<<I was impressed when I first found it, and now one more piece of info on the
LUG knits the "family" a little closer together. Nice work! >>>>

You might also like to know that the work of John de Visser and myself was done
with Leica M cameras!

ted