Subject: DR Summicron incompatabilities
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 97 01:33:49 -0400

>Prehaps the early eyes will not work on later lenses? Since the eyes were
> not necessarily purchased with the lens, they should have changed the
> code number if the eyes would not work with any version.
>  >>
>  Leitz did use 2 seperate code #'s:
>  11318/SOOIC-MN  Early. single focusing scale (feet or meters) marked 5cm
>   11318/SOMNI  -----Later dual focusing scale     (marked 50mm)
>   14002/SDP  ---------the eyes for the above

Marvin,

There is only one code for the EYES. If there are two incompatable types,
why is there only one code number for both? I'm trying to find out if
there are real incompatabilities, or if we just think there are.

Marc wrote very clearly. He said is that it is his _understanding_ that
there are incompatabilities, he didn't say that there definitly _were_.
It sounds to me like nobody knows for sure, so it makes sense to poll DR
owners to try to find out.

It would be nice for future purchasers of DR Summicrons if they could
know in advance which combinations work/don't work, especially before
sending off for one by mail.

There are a lot of Leica users on the list, who collectively own a huge
ammount of Leica stuff. This makes the list a good potential research
tool.

>When Leitz said that the DR Summicron was for the M3 only - they didnt
>anticipate that there would be later models that could use them and the
>problem seems to be in the variations between all 3: Lens. Eyes & Camera.
>Taking these 3 variables in to consideration, you dont have to be a math
>expert to see how many variations are possible.
>Some combinations work - others dont
>End of matter - I hope

Please, I'd prefer hear about specific examples which do or do not work.
If it is this complex, there is a compelling reason to work out a guide,
rather than rely on trial-and-error. However, It shouldn't be this
complex. If a particular set of eyes and a particular lens (or a
particular lens and a particular body) are incompatable, this would
instantly eliminate all permutations of that combination.

I would appreciate it if everyone who owns a DR Summicron would respond
to the new survey that I am posting as a separate message. Let's try to
either nail this down, or dispell the myth. If it does turn out that
there are problems, we could even use the list to swap eyes or lenses
among ourselves, to fix them.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my first survey.

BTW, nobody who _responded_ to the first survey had a problem with either
an early or late DR lens and M6, other than an initial tight fit.
However, I realize now that the questions that I asked were pretty vague,
and there are several DR owners who did not respond.

- - Paul