Subject: DR Summicron owners-help!
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 97 01:33:43 -0400

Dear DR Summicron owners,

I would appreciate your help. I'd like to come up with a guide for
identifying potential DR Summicron/rangefinder eyes/M-body
incompatabilities, and identifying the approximate serial number ranges
of variations in this lens.

I would appreciate it if any DR owners would privatly email me with the
following info:

The approximate serial number of lens.

Is it marked 5cm or 50mm?

Do you use the close-focusing oculars ("eyes") with your lens? Are they
early or late eyes?
(Early eyes have "E. LEITZ WETZLAR" in block letters engraved on the
front, enclosed in a polygonal shape. Late lenses have "Leitz" in script,
"WETZLAR" in block letters, and no enclosing shape.)

Which bodies does the lens work with? Which bodies cause problems? Do
both normal and near ranges work?

The first time, did you need to use more force than necessary to get the
lens to work on a particular body? (Please don't try to force a lens on
your camera, if it doesn't want to go!)

Are there reproduction ratios above the distance scale in the near-focus
range?
(These are very small, sideways numbers along the near-range portion of
the scale; on my lens, they run from 1:15 to 1:7.5.)

Is the focusing scale in both feet and meters, or only in one or the
other?

Does the distance scale end at 20", or are there two half-inch marks
beyond 20"? If the lens is metric, what is the closest focus?

If you have any questions about these questions, please email me privatly.

Thank you especially to those who responded the first time.

If anyone participates in other discussion groups (on AOL or whatever) I
would be very grateful if you would post this there, also. I will post it
in the 35mm area on the Compuserve Photography forum.

- - Paul