Subject: Scanning Medium Format
From: Michael Reichmann <michael.reichmann@alphanet.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 21:41:19 -0400

>I would need a scanner that would scan up to 2 1/4 negatives as well as =
slides. =20
>Bill Grimwood

At the risk of starting a thread that is non-Leica related, here are =
some quick comments based on a great deal of research.

There are only 2 dedicated transmission scanners that handle up to 4X5, =
including of course 2 1/4".  These are from Nikon and Polaroid.  The =
Polaroid is the most highly regarded but is very expensive >$8,000 US.

My research lead me to discover a very exciting alternative, the Agfa =
Duoscan.  This retails in the US for under $4,500. It handles both =
transparent media (slides / negatives) and reflective copy when used as =
a traditional flatbed.  What makes it unqiue is that instead of using a =
transparency adoptor, it handles transparencies directly in a seperate  =
compartment and can do so with or without a glass carrier.  It can =
handle slides and negs up to 8X10" !

The resolution is a true optical 2000 X 1000 dpi. A 2.25" slide cropped =
to 8x10 propotions scans at this resolution to about a 45MB file, but =
the quality is remarkable.  (You'll want 120MB of RAM or better to =
handle these, though 64MB will do with a lot of disk swapping). Prints =
on an Epon Stylus Photo printer have to be seen to be believed.

I use a Nikon LS-1000 for my 35mm work, and the Duoscan for medium =
format (Rollei 6008).  I'm considering a Fuji 617.  No other afforable =
scanner than the Duoscan can handle such 6 inch long transparencies.

The other alternative is to have Pro Photo CDs made.  These cost $25+ =
each and so the cost of a scanner is soon made up, not to mention the =
additional control that one achieves in being able to do one's own =
scans.

If you or any other LUGers would like to pursue this discussion further =
we can move it to private e-mail.

Michael