Subject: Re: Leni Riefenstahl
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 23:19:28 -0400

At 08:53 PM 8/22/97 -0400, Jay Coleman wrote:
>Chris Fortunko wrote:
>
>>I was also shocked by Marc's remarks.<
>
>I, also.  Regardless of what one thinks of her photography, one cannot
>seperate her from her past.

This is starting to get irritating.

Two points.  First, Riefenstahl was never a Nazi Party member nor did she
ever attempt to join.  She never endorsed the Party in any manner.  She
never spoke on its behalf.  She never made any public statement with regard
to Hitler or Goebbels or the Party.  She simply made films at the direction
of Goebbels and his cronies.  And, of course, she had a falling out with
the Party leadership in '38, after which they would give her no work at all
and discouraged others from doing so as well.  From 1940 on, her work was
surpressed, for reasons never explained to her and for which no record
survives, save for a couple of sarcastic notes in Goebbels' wartime diaries.

Second, you simply cannot attempt to judge the artist by their era or
society or else we will condemn all art.  Is Eisenstadt any less a
cinematographer for being a Communist Party member?  Is Picasso to be
damned because he was an eyes-open fellow-traveller lending both his
support and his genius to the Communists in the 1930's?  What about
Leonardo and Michaelangelo, both of whom accepted commissions from the
Catholic Church at the very time it was killing Jews in Spain, torturing
Protestants in the Low Countries, and destroying the Maya and Incan
cultures?  And what about Edmund Spenser:  the book he wrote immediately
prior to THE FAERIE QUEEN is a positively scurrilous attack on the Irish,
suggesting that civilization would best be served by exterminating them
root and branch.

Pray, do not be "shocked" by my expressions, as their are consistent with
every statement of cultural belief I have ever posted to the LUG.  I hold a
sincere belief that an artist can only honestly be judged on the integrity
of his or her work and, to that end, applaud those who have commented on
the quality of her work while I condemn those who wish to judge her for
some alleged -- and factually non-existent -- endorsement of the Nazi regime.

Marc

Marc James Small
Cha Robh Bas Fir, Gun Ghras Fir!
FAX:  +540/343-7315