Subject: Re: Photo Magazine Recommendation
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 09:39:56 -0600

At 09:28 PM 22/08/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Also, the Oct issue of "Photo Techniques" is just out. The article, "A
>Narrative History of Color Photography" gives credit to Kodachrome and the
>Leica for heightened interest in color photography in the 1950s.

Yeah. And check out the article by Ctein on contrast-control masking in
colour.  Look at the crappy photo he uses to illustrate the article.
Unbelievable.  Good writing, lousy illustration to make the point =
mediocre journalism.
   I was so disappointed with the illustration that I wrote him to let him
know that some of his readers expect better quality.  As they say, a
photographer is often only as good as his/her last image.  He has done some
remarkable things in the past, some of which break new ground over the past
20 years, and perhaps that elevates him to a higher standard than would be
expected of other writers.
   In reply, he said that he liked the photograph, and that he was not
offended by my remarks: we simply had different tastes.  Oh give me a break!

- -GH