Subject: Was: What's Leica supposed to send me?
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 22:23:55 -0400

Tina Manley wrote:

<<Snip>>

I have to send the camera in now, in
> less than
> 3 months, because the winder broke off and the counter doesn't work.
> I hope
> that a copy of the receipt will convince them that I have the Passport
> warranty!  Leica used to offer a free subscription to LeicaView with
> the
> purchase of a camera.  This is probably what Dave is thinking of and I
> would
> think Leica would at least give you a magazine subscription. I have 4
> Leicas
> and I am disappointed with the current service.  Tina

There seems to be a common thread here that Leica's quality control is
really suffering. I have an M2 and an M3 that perform wonderfully, are
built like tanks and that Sherry Krauter recently CLAed in just over a
week. The M3 is 40 years old, the M2 is 35 years.

And yet, the common lament here seems to be with everything going wrong
with NEW or very young M6 cameras. I would be outraged. Marc seems to
have a good streak going with his M6 but he's one of the few. Otherwise,
broken advances, film counters, meter circuits. Incredibly long
turnaround times on repairs (Ted Grant and others with professional
clout notwithstanding) and expensive to boot.

Is Leica getting the message? Are they paying attention? Does anyone
have any sort of inside contact that reflects their current zeitgeist?
Does LHSA talk about this?

Food for thought.

Carl S.