Subject: Warranty Cards
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 08:31:15 -0400

Well, I do NOT send in warranty cards.  I will probably sell my gear at
some point in the future, and the inclusion of box and cards will close to
double the resale price, especially on relatively rare items.  I do,
however, send Leica a letter advising them of my purchase and of the serial
number of the purchased item.

Under US law, in any event, you cannot be forced to 'register' to obtain
warranty protection.  To the contrary, your warranty automatically goes
into effect upon purchase.

Finally, the LUG occasionally breaks a bit anti-capitalist.  Well, the
primary reason a manufacturer wants you to 'register' a warranty is for
demographic purposes for marketing research.  I'm just too bloody stubborn
to want to make their marketing department's job easier than it already is.
 Besides, I'm so eccentric I don't fit into any of their categories,
anyway!  My buying patterns are readily predictable:  when I'm broke, I
don't buy, when I have some money, I buy used, when I'm flush, I buy new.

Marc

Marc James Small
Cha Robh Bas Fir, Gun Ghras Fir!
FAX:  +540/343-7315