Subject: Cardish on Aspherical
From: Leikon35@aol.com
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 12:14:32 -0400 (EDT)

    Dear Dan - At the risk of my sounding stupid, would you please
 expain to me in simple terms what you mean by the "gross spher-
 ically aberational look".  I am not being facetious but after over
 50 years of professional photography,  I would like to know  how
 the aspherical results differ from the spherical.
    As a photographer of the "old school" where "Leica Glow"
 meant the emphasis on the out of focus part of the of the image
 through the use of glass not as fully corrected as the Zeiss glass,
 I cant understand how this minor correction of an already "state
 of the art" lens could be visable unless compared side by side.

<<
 I have both the non asph and the 1st version aspherical.  If you REALLY
 like that gross spherically aberational look of the non asph 35 at 1.4,
 then who am I to argue, but for me it rarely adds to a picture.  I guess we
 have different tastes.  On the other hand, for ordinary  shooting I love
 that old lens.  I still have it, in spite of the superiority of the newer
 aspherical.