Subject: Re: The Horror/2
From: Leikon35@aol.com
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 00:40:34 -0400 (EDT)

  The flashlight bit can spot fog, fungus & just plain dirt but it also is
 misused by foreign buyers at camera shows to down price your lens.
 No camera repair person can duplicate the ultra-clean atmosphere
 that lens manufacturers spend thousands of dollars to obtain.
 The tiny motes of lint that you find in a "just cleaned lens" usually
 has no effect what so ever on lens performance.
    The few top notch lens repair people come close, but I have never
 seen a "cleaned" lens that appeared as factory clean.  I know that
 this will be disputed but that is my experience.  If you wear glasses,
 try the flashlight on them & ask yourself if it faults your vision.

 *********************************Marvin
 Moss********************************

<<
 David W. Almy wrote:

 > All,
 >
 > Following up on a previous (old) posting, suggest you do the following,
 > which I did the other day:
 >
 > 1. Assemble all your lenses in a dark room, the darker the better.
 > 2. Find a good flashlight, the brighter the better.
 > 3. Set each lens to their largest aperture, shine the flashlight up into
 > the lenses as you watch off-center from the other end.
 > 4. Prepare to be startled.
 >
 > Now, I know many of you have been doing this for years, in search of fog
 > and fungus in 40 year old glass, but I (in 25 picture-taking years) had
 > never attempted it before, so was in for a shock. The dust resident
 > inside all of my lenses (Nikon and Leica) ranged from minimal to
 > frightening. Even my new 100 APO was filled with flecks of dust, and
 > it's brand new, with ROM chip. My mint, used 180 2.0 has a center
 > element with light circular haze/fog/cleaning marks off to one side. My
 > 20-35 Nikkor zoom has a mildly fogged center element.
 >
 > My question are these:
 >
 > 1. Jeeez!! Is this normal?!
 >
 > 2. How clean, really, is clean? Should I see ANYTHING but glass
 > reflections, or does everything I own have to go to Sherry for
 > disassembly?
 >
 > 3. To what degree does what's on the lens elements significantly affect
 > their optical performance?
 >
 > Sober (for now) in Maryland, I remain, sincerely,
 >
 > David W. Almy

 David,

 1. Don't ever go in the darkroom with your lenses and a flashlight
 again.

 2. I think Sherry's busy enough.

 3. Have a beer for every speck of dust you think you saw.

 You'll be fine.

 Colin

 Receive >>