Subject: Re: L versus M
From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 10:09:42 -0700

On 31 Aug 97,  Alastair Firkin wrote:

<snip>

> It took me many years and the experience of the CLE to finally get me
> into Leicas, but the "pull" is strong ;-) Not sure if I could tell the
> difference of the top of the line Nikon Canon or Contax lenses, but
> I'll keep testing.

Now, you're on to the crux of this discussion, Alastair.

I came off two year's use of Canon EOS 1n, sold it all, and finally
scratched a lifelong itch to go Leica. Today, I shoot R6.2 and M6. I am
delighted with both the gear AND the results, however, if one compares
the "L" (pro series) Canon lenses with equivalent focal length Leica
glass, I seriously doubt that the results can be similarly categorized.
I know that I can not distinguish the differences in the Canon "L"
lens work vs. the Leica with assurance, and I consider myself a
reasonable judge of the finer things in life. These bodies of work are
recent and are done with modern emulsions, mostly Velvia and Sensia.

That said, I am happy that I made the switch for the following reasons:

   1. I *wanted* less automation in my work. The solution wasn't to
       rig the EOS 1n for full manual. Manual focusing with most AF
       lenses leaves a lot to be desired. Mechanics and viewfinders
       come into play in this matter.Also, though it took a while,
       I finally got it through my skull that whatever processes the
       camera went through, it eventually came to rest on a given
       f stop and shutter speed setting. Not required to work at a
       frenetic pace, I'd rather do it myself. To these ends, the M6
       and R6.2 perform splendidly.

   2. The Leica lenses allow me to acquire them with the confidence
       that, with the rare exceptions acknowledged, I'm doing as well
       as I can. I needn't bother myself with exhaustive research on
       the various offerings. Buy 'em and shoot 'em!

   3. There's something about stroking a Leica. Kind of like making
       love to a really beautiful woman!

A parochial attitude toward what *we* own and use is properly normal.
Such is the spice of life. Without such bias, nations could not field
armies, when necessary, to fight the good fight. (Now, before you go
arguing that no fight is worth the consequences, think hard about it!)

Vive la difference!

- --
Roger Beamon
       Naturalist & Photographer
       Leica Historical Society Of America
       mailto:beamon@primenet.com

          Thought for the day:
      Advertising (n): the science of arresting the human
      intelligence for long enough to get money from it.
             -- Stephen Leacock