Subject: Re: Was Riboud Show -The Leica Challenge
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 12:05:20 -0400

At 11:21 AM 31-08-97 EDT, Ted wrote:
[snip]

>Describe exactly what I mean? As I said above, it is the " recognition
factor"
>as they just look different in clarity, sharpness of light, contrast
etc.These
>are a few things and I can't give  every single thing that factors into a
"Leica
>look recognition factor" if I tried. It just comes from experience of
looking at
>the work of many other photographers who are Leica users and those that
are not.

First off. I have nothing against the F5; heck, I'm using an F2 myself.
And when it wears out, I will upgrade to an F3, and when that wears out,
....by the time I reach the F5, the current model will likely be the F34.
;-)

I have been toying with the idea of preparing a set of photographs of a
similar subject (a model I may be photographing in a week or two)  taken
with three different 50mm lenses, the 50mm DR Summicron, the Minolta AF
50/1.4, and the Nikon 50mm AI.  Maybe I will bring along my Leitz Summilux
50 as well.  I will try to make 3 (or 4) identical 8x10 prints from them.
The lighting will likely be near sunset, so all of the pictures should have
a nice "glow" about them.

I would be willing to mail them to you, Ted, to give you the "Leica
Challenge".  Perhaps you could then forward them along to another
interested LUGer, who could add his/her own guesses as to which lens took
which picture.  I guess all I ask is that eventually the pictures end up
back with me, along with the accumulated guesses.  I will enclose a chart
of some kind where people could add their responses.  When the final line
is filled in, that would be the clue to return the pictures to me.   I have
absolutely no problem with being proven wrong in all this, so you should be
able to trust me as to the final "truth".

If you have any ideas how  this might work better, feel free to speak up.
Other lenses that I own which could be used instead of the 50s are the
85/1.4 Nikkor (a super lens, but too heavy for me), the 75/1.4 Summilux,
the 90 tele-elmarit (also a nice lens), and the 100/2.8 Minolta AF macro
(very, very sharp, I'd love to compare it with someone's 100 Apo
Elmarit-R).  Since these lenses are not all of exactly the same focal
length, the test in this case may not be completely fair.

Who knows, if this works out, maybe we could try a regular print exchange
amongst ourselves?

Dan C.