Subject: Re: Di's Driver Drunken 1.75 prom. (was: Paparazzi ...)
From: "Tom Wyse & Jo Hughes" <joandtom@mtnhome.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 1997 19:20:49 -0500

 snip

>To keep this in perspective, American readers should know that this is .175
>parts per thousand.  This is a high level, but not unwieldy:  a regular
>drinker should not have his or her reflexes too badly affected at this
>level, though a tyro alcoholic might well be staggering at .08>
Marc
>snip

Marc,
    I have previously communicated privately about my respect for your
opinions,  .... however,
.175 seems minute (the actual reference is .175 nanograms per milleliter)
in the US of course
.10 is presumtive evidence of drunk.  As you point out some folks would be
knee walking at a lesser amount eg .08 (many states are currently revising
there legal level to this amount).. Yes, some people, primarily alcoholics,
can seemingly function quite well at .175...the operative word being,
seemingly.  Reams of research show that "any" person is substancially
impaired to operate a vehicle at that level.   If in fact the driver had
such a level, then he was in fact intoxicated by any definition, and his
ability to operate a vehicle would be impaired... On this one, trust me.
Tom
cadc, icadc, ccs

(state and internationally certified alcohol/drug counselor and clinical
supervisor)