Subject: Re: Cardish/Aspherical (2)
From: "Patrick G. Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 1997 23:08:04 -0700

On the topic of the "Leica glow," I just wanted to say that my various
Leica lenses have really very different looks to their out-of-focus
regions, even when open to the same apertures.  My older 28/2.8 Elmarit-R
has what Photo Techniques would call "complex bokeh," and while I like the
look of its out-of-focus regions very much, they are a very distinctive
element of photographs and must be accounted for in composition.  They
aren't anything like the very smooth out-of-focus regions that my
screw-mount 50/1.5 Summarit yields.  I would say that at f/4 the Summarit
has the most pleasing out-of-focus rendition of any of my lenses, certainly
more so than the sharper 50/2 Summicron-R.

The half-dozen or so other lenses I use regularly all have quite different
characteristics.  I don't have enough experience with Japanese lenses to
know where they would come in on this spectrum except that since I started
paying attention to out-of-focus rendition, I've come to dislike the very
obvious pentagons and hexagons one gets with lenses that have only five or
six diaphragm blades, as is true of most newer Japanese lenses (and some
Leica lenses).  But in rendition of out-of-focus regions there's so much
variation among Leica lenses that I'd expect the same to be true with
Japanese lenses.