Subject: Re: Cardish/Aspherical (2)
From: Edward Meyers <aghalide@panix.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 08:38:41 -0400 (EDT)

About the 50mm f/1.5 Summarit... Already owning the 50mm Summilux
and 50mm DR Summicron, I bought a 50mm f/1.5 Summarit about three years
ago and began using it. Why? Because I remembered the wonderful look
of a photograph I made in 1956 with one I borrowed from a fellow
student, Don Nichols. At wide-open it has a special character. I
choose the look I want and use the lens that gives it. Bob Schwalberg
once told me that the 35mm f/3.5 Summaron (first version) that I have,
used wide-open, gives better sharpness at the corners than at the
center. I've never tested it for this feature, but use it with this
in mind. The 50mm f/2 Summar I also own gives a wonderful low-contrast
relatively high resolution result. Remember the Eisenstadt photos
of the 1930s? The one shot above the Atlantic ocean from the top of
the Graf Zep? Probably shot with a Summar. Not a bad image.
I also have a 50mm f/2 Carl Zeiss Sonnar with the British Leica
adapter. This lens produces very high contrast and sharpness. I
got it when I want it...
So, improvements in optics are not always improvements in optics,
I say.... Ed Meyers