Subject: Jim Stanfield
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 13:25:42 -0800

Eric Welch wrote:

> But Jim is a master. His lighting kit is quite extensive. Small and large
> flash, hot lights, and whatever else he can carry. Sometimes he has to rent
> three taxis from the airport to his hotel to carry all his gear. And he
> often uses assistants for the big jobs.

Eric,
That is one nice thing about working for NGS.  Or used to be.  Maybe
changing now.

Doing location work is becoming more and more of a challenge as the
budgets shrink.  I have 10,000WS of Balcar power, but it is a nightmare
flying with such a kit, especially without assistant.  I have taken to
airfreighting 200-300 pounds, but the costs are enormous.  I am trying
to revise things with very small lights, including battery powered,  in
stackable cases including stands (the real headache because of length)
so can grab and go.  Given the resistance to assistants (especially when
they fly and use hotels), we are havng to find new ways to supliment
existing light or simplify the photos to need little artificial light.
Plus the set up time for large lighting projects restricts productivity
to 2-4 shots a day.

Ahhhh, for the joy of shooting available light BW!  I've almost
forgotten.

Was negotiating with ad agency this morning for use of photos in a
destination guide, and mine are the only photos they are paying for.
Rest gotten from Clip discs, manufacturers, and magazine (which had
bought all  rights from a photographer and gave it to them if they ran
an ad).  So that is my competion!  Agency said they no longer give
assignments or buy from stock photography agencies--just too expensive.
But they couldn't find anything for free to match my stuff (including
cover shot and two full pagers inside).  These are outtakes from
commercial jobs that cost thousands to produce and for which they are
complaining about having to spend hundreds of dollars to acquire use
rights.

All of which cuts into the Leica acquisition budget.

Donal Philby
San Diego