Subject: Re: Di quietly
From: dannyg1@IDT.NET (Danny Gonzalez)
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 14:44:15 -0400 (EDT)

Sensationalism and poor taste are not only common to the tabloids and the
paparazzi. Even the best of intentions can be twisted into an ugly morass;
witness the extreme tastelessness expressed in the naming of this thread.

One of the most surprising elements of the media melee' surrounding this
story is the fact that so many photographers were/are quick to think the
absolute worst of their own. The fact that the 'media' would choose to
villify still photographers is sadly telling of the respect still
photographers garner in the marketplace (which doesn't surprise me) but,
for still photographers to actively participate in the destruction of their
own right to photograph?

Seems to me that, as the facts are slowly revealed, the photographers in
question acted as journalists.
Remember the poor UPI guy who missed the critical moment of Reagan being
shot? This accident was historic and would've been voraciously covered by
any responsible photographer on the scene, be they staff or stringer.
Issues of taste, in historic events such as these, are left for the editors
to grapple with.

Please, before preaching a message that positions some so far beneath the
status quo, consider the correctness of the entire sermon; including the
title.

Danny Gonzalez

PS: A thousand pardons if this message comes through more than once. I
experienced a soft crash of Netscape while sending this the first time and
the last time that happened, it posted to the newsgroup twice. The software
doesn't seem to register this mail as sent, so I assume (after waiting 20
minutes) that this will only show up once.