Subject: consequences from the M6 survey
From: ABreull@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 04:28:38 -0400 (EDT)

Ferdinand:

I need to congratulate you to your survey. To me it was and is a fine idea,
no matter what some other LUGers said.

And one thing is for sure: Of the 26 persons responding to your survey (if i
remember correct), 20 (77 %) had no problems, and 6 (23%) were unhappy, so
the argument, that only the unhappy replied is not so especially strong.

Additionally, you found out and reported, that - maybe by chance, maybe by
some changement in the production/ control process - all broken M6s resulted
from the years 1995 and 1996. Personally, I wouldn't buy a plastic or
fast-food Leica ... if I want McDonalds I'd go to the source.

So, one consequence from your investigation should be, that people - before
payment, and within the shop - should insist on (1) an additional control
that no parts of the camera fall into their laps, and (2) the additional
garantie from the local shop, that the shop takes the camera back and changes
it into a virgin one, if there is some trouble within - let's say - the first
4 or 10 weeks, meaning: You simply offer to the shop owner, I buy it from
you, if and only if you take it back and change it into a new, sealed one.
Maybe not the first shop owner will agree, but probably the second or third.

Furthermore, there is an additional advantage by this procedure: If the Leica
shop owners are unhappy (from broken M6s), they will really put the heat on
Leitz, and Leitz needs to react. Otherwise, it's just the "stupid" and
disappointed customer who waits weeks and months for hhis aleady paid M6 -
and looses trust and joy and enthusiasm additionally.

And finally, if he/she finally gets his/her "new" repaired one, he/she will
be still suspicious of what might fall apart next ...

My personal consequence (from your survey): I bought another M3. And, I need
to admit also, that if I would be one of the persons would bought a broken
M6, I would be not far away from setting fire to the Solms company - out of
deep deep disappointment. And, I would feel, that Leitz would have misused my
trust.

- -Alf

PS: I posted my coments to the arguments of the statistic freaks one hour
ago.