Subject: Re: Di quietly (OFF-TOPIC)
From: Oddmund Garvik <garvik@serveur.interliger.fr>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 21:43:06

Alf wrote:

>Besides, a US mag offered $ 300.000 for the in-car shots, and a British
>newspaper $ 3 million. Bad financial luck for the guy, whose agency took the
>pix from the market again ...

Yes, but they just hide them for a while. In some weeks, or months these
pix will be sold for millions... and published even by "respectable" papers
in the name of "information". This is a logical consequence of our system,
the "free enterprise" at its best... The claiming of censorship is pure
hypocrisy. We didn't hear much noise of that kind when a little girl were
about to die in Colombia some years ago, while photographers and TV
reporters made close ups of her (one of the photographers even got a
prize...).

I wanted to stay out of this "Bal des Faux Culs", Diana and Dodi Story.
I've been away for a while, and once again coming back north, it never
ceases to amaze me what people think is important. Two wealthy pinheads die
trying to avoid getting their picture taken, and the western world goes
into mourning. At the same time hundreds of innocent people are slaughtered
in Algeria, and the story gets buried on page 34D. I don't think Di was a
more "admirable" lady than any of the ladies that were parts of the
massacre in Algeria. Or better yet, the killing in Algeria (not necessarily
this one, but the civil war in general) is certainly going to have more
effect on the world than the stupid death of a royalist.

As a rule, I'm not impressed with the Royals. Most of them strike me as
genial ninnies. I couldn't name a single accomplishment that Diana did
other than being born into the right family. I don't give her any credit
for whatsoever "humanitarian" activity. She was enjoying herself around the
world, well protected, and in very expensive gear and means....She wanted
attention and money. She just *seemed* different in that she tried to focus
world attention on things like...oh, religious massacres in Africa, or the
ongoing proliferation of land mines. She did something that the other
Royals were afraid to do, and assured the public that AIDS victims were
safe to TOUCH...

Why was she hiding from the media? If not to trigger more and more
attention, she got what she wanted. She went to Saint-Tropez and to Ritz in
Paris with her playboy... If she really wanted the media to leave her
quiet, she would have gone elsewhere, or she would have exposed herself,
and not cared about them. No, she was making big money with this game,
searching for the right hit, she was close...

It's sad for her children only.

Oddmund

PS: I hope there will be no confusion between the ridiculous media show now
being put together in Britain, and the death of a noble spirit like Mere
Theresa. She acted from genuine compassion, and did not want anything...
She was a person of another stature, far above the small world of stars,
playboys and royal "highnesses".