Subject: Diana, Mother Teresa et al.
From: "Douglas McLernon" <dmcl@iol.ie>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 23:07:39 +0100

Douglas McLernon,  Dublin, Ireland
E-mail - Economics <Douglas.McLernon@tcd.ie> Home <dmcl@iol.ie>

This afternoon my partner (OK from time to time I DO  write reviews of
restaurants -  but at least I don't refer to my wife as "the blond" as does
A.A. Gill in the Times - THE REAL TIMES - ) returned with a copy of Hello
Magazine dedicated  to Diana, Princess of Wales.

Some of the photographs were spectacular. At least five without even
identifying the subject would have been outstanding and in the HBC mode. I
especially liked the "exact instant"  of the photos of the Princess winning
the mothers race at her son's school sports day and one of her comforting a
small bride's maid at her wedding - who it was didn't matter - the pictures
spoke for themselves. True to form I looked in vain for photo credits (
most the of pulp in this rag is "commissioned", a fee paid up front to a
"celebrity" and a set up - the rest relies on the pap pack. The blond
claims to read it in the hairdresser; how come they sell about a million
copies?

On tonight's news the death of Mother Teresa was announced and a brief
bio-photo history followed.

I am neither a monarchist nor a Roman Catholic but I found both events
moving.

My point in posting this to the LUG is that both the international glossy
Hello magazine and the independent British television news chose to
highlight the stories with Black and white images. Hello on the cover and
ITN (Independent Television News - the commercial station news network)
which closed with a powerful portrait of Mother Teresa in B&W. Maybe there
is hope for the medium yet.
Regards.
Doug