Subject: Re: Japanese "M" mount
From: Thomas Kachadurian <kach@freeway.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 1997 22:28:34 -0400

Doc:

I owned one for two weeks. I used the exact logic you have applied. It's
less than 1/3 of the Leica glass. I learned why I have a Leica in the first
place.

Just to set some benchmarks. I'm not euroglass snob. I think highly of at
least 3 on my Canon EF lenses, 24mm, 35mm and 300mmL. I had a Nikon 28Ti
for a bit over a year and found the glass to be outstanding. I see only
subtle differences between my 28mm Rokkor-M for the CL and my sainted 35mm
and 50mm Summicrons.

That said, the aftermarket 21mm lens was simply not usable. I shot 8 or 10
different situations and probably 100 frames of film, all on a tripod with
Velvia. There was no edge shaprness at all, and in the sample I had, the
upper left corner of the frame had a sort-of wavy distortion. There was no
shadow detail at all, and even at f8, the sharpest portion of the image in
the center of the frame looked soft. I shot all of the same photographs
with my Canon EF 24mm just as a back up, but there was one image that the
Art Director liked better with the 21mm because of it's extra sky. I warned
him, but he had the image scanned anyway. The matchprint at 900% (full
bleed magazine page)was so fuzzy that he agreed the photograph was
unpublishable. We used one of the Canon images instead and it made a great
crisp color sep.

I sent the lens back, glad to have made the full refund deadline. I also
hated the  auxiliary finder, but I'd probably hate the Leica finder too.

For now I have only up to 28mm on my Leica M system. When I need something
wide I go to my Canon EOS stuff. You can buy an A2 body and a 24mm EF for
the price of that 3rd party Leica M wide angle.

Tom