Subject: Re: 28mm Elmarit-M hood problem
From: "Roy C. Zartarian" <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 20:16:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Joe Berenbaum wrote:

> I have a 28mm Leitz Canada Elmarit-M, third version. The front of the lens,
> including the front element, rotates very slightly when it is moved-
> probably only a degree or so of rotation. I suppose 18 years of twisting the

[snip]

> Has anyone else
> experienced this problem, and does anyone have an opinion on what I should
> do about it? I think I could get it tightened up, but I am concerned that it
> might just work loose again.

Working from admittedly imperfect memory, I recall a 35mm Summicron also
of Canadian origin exhibiting a similar condition.  At the time it didn't
bother me because I was used to the DR 50 whose front element did unscrew.
The condition however did get the attention of the technician to whom I
sent the lens for a cleaning and lube. She set things right.

I think you answered your own question as to what you should do.  If the
looseness concerns you, have it repaired.

Written by:	Roy C. Zartarian	| Prophets are not without honor
		25 Stuart Street	| except in their own country
		Newington, CT 06111 USA	| and in their own house.
		http://www.connix.com/~royzart