Subject: Re: Tiltall
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 97 08:58:45 -0400

>Uniphot knocked them off. The Uniphot unit is an inferior copy.
>Leitz , U.S.A. bought the garage factory and sold them at much
>higher prices. They also made black ones, I believe. Anyone else
>fill me in on what I left out ? Ed Meyers

Ed,

I recently saw a _huge_ Tiltall in shiny chrome. All of the others I've
seen are smaller and black.

The last time I saw one for sale, new, was in the early 1980s. I
regretted not buying it for years. I eventually found a used "Uniphot"
one.

I'm skeptical that the Uniphot is a copy, since it has a Tiltall logo on
its nameplate. I could see knocking off the design, but the Tiltall name
is a registered trademark. A knockoff would be more likely to be called
Tiltmore or Tiltmaster or Alltilt. It looks identical to the ones in the
Fred Maroon Leica brochure, which, of course, doesn't mean that it isn't
a copy.

>I have used two Tiltall tripods since the late 1970's.  They were made by
>Leitz in New Jersey.  I have an old brochure from Leitz on these tripods
>that details the story of how they acquired them. I'll type it for the LUG
>when I return later this weekend.

Richard,

I'd be very interested in seeing this. Thanks.

- - Paul