Subject: Re: 90 Tele-Elmarit-M Probs
From: Len Schweitzer <lens@airmail.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 21:36:45 -0500

Joe Berenbaum wrote:

> At 10:08 09/09/97 -0700, you wrote:
> <snip>
> >> Can one reasonably suppose that a lens
> >> that still looks fine today is likely to remain so?  I have one
> that
> >> I like very much, and shows no problems, so I'd like to know
> whether
> >> I need to add "yet".
> >
> >How lucky do you feel?  Once it starts, the lens is dead.  I view the
>
> >relube cost as very inexpensive insurance.
> >Regards,
> >Stephen Gandy
>
> I need some feedback here if possible. Inside mine I can see, but only
> if I
> look with a mini flashlight at an angle, that there is a very slight
> visible
> speckling on one of the surfaces at the rear of the lens. Does this
> sound
> like the problem we are talking about? (I knew I'd find a use for my
> 85/2
> LTM Nikkor eventually...)
>
> Joe Berenbaum

Joe - Not sure how you define slight visible speckling. My defective
TE90-M has more than "slight" speckling as well as a fine haze that you
feel you can wipe off with a fresh microfibre lens cloth ... but you
can't.  As I mentioned earlier, it makes a nice paperweight and a
reminder to learn more about checking out a used lens.