Subject: Re: New R8 Ad!
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 09:23:32 -0500

At 12:15 AM 9/12/97 -0400, you wrote:
>At 07:10 PM 9/11/97 -0800, you wrote:

>Based on the new M lens offerings, at least functionality seems to remain a
>part of the plan, but how long until they use their market research to
>decide that their "major client" doesn't care about image quality.
>
>My advice: take good care of the Leicas you have, and keep an eye on them.

Wait a minute. First of all, what decade was this person calling Leica?
They haven't been Leitz for a very long time. ;-)

Second of all, who gives a rip what an advertising person says in New
Jersey. Leica in Germany is where it counts. And it seems to me pro use of
Leicas overseas is stronger than in the U.S. Not that it's all that bad.
Leica ranks number three in pro usage in the U.S. (35mm cameras only).

As far as advertising, it's used to expand markets. And those of us who are
users should be glad there are collectors spending mega-bucks for the fancy
commemorative Leicas. It probably helps a tiny bit in keeping prices down
for us real photographers.

Whatever, Leica has to find its niches. It already has the photojournalism
market on the rangefinder side. Why waste money telling photojournalists
what they already know?

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO