Subject: Re: Summicron 35mm f/2,0.
From: Edward Meyers <aghalide@panix.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 20:07:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, captyng wrote:

> Has any of the European LUG members kept a copy of the Chasseur d'Images
> "fiche technique" with the definition test of the last spherical version of
> the Summicron 35mm f/2,0? Lucien? Pascal? Oddmund? I remember having seen
> one maybe a year-or-so ago. Please answer privately. Many thanks.
>
> Gerard.

Having been the person responsible for lens tests on a major photography
magazine in the U.S. from about 1959 to 1966 I would like to make a
few observations.
If you are concerned with wide-open f/2 on the early 35mm f/2
Summicron ( I own a bug-eye one) remember the following...
Lens tests are performed ( I hope) on a tripod. When we make
pictures with our lens wide-open at f/2 it's generally done
hand-held and at a relatively slow shutter speed, such as 1/30 or
1/60 sec. Image results at slow shutter speeds are usually
not as sharp as at high shutter speeds, such as 1/250 or 1/500 sec.
I suspect that camera and/or subject shake have more to do
with sharpness than the optical quality of the 35mm f/2
Summicron, vintage 1968.
Another consideration is that tests are usually done on a flat plane.
So when edges are not so sharp wide-open, it could be caused by
curvature of field. But so what, I rarely use my Summicron to
photograph flat subjects. People, scenes, happenings have depth.
Shoot pictures, not lens test charts. This could be a reason
for not buying the new high-priced fancy lenses. I paid about
$175 for my 50mm f/2 DR Summicron just three or four years ago.
Another wonderful lens....Ed Meyers