Subject: Re: Summicron 35mm f/2,0.
From: "captyng" <captyng@vtx.ch>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 08:04:20 +0200

At 08:07 PM 15/09/1997 -0400, you wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, captyng wrote:
>
>> Has any of the European LUG members kept a copy of the Chasseur d'Images
>> "fiche technique" with the definition test of the last spherical version of
>> the Summicron 35mm f/2,0? Lucien? Pascal? Oddmund? I remember having seen
>> one maybe a year-or-so ago. Please answer privately. Many thanks.
>>
>> Gerard.
>>
>Having been the person responsible for lens tests on a major photography
>magazine in the U.S. from about 1959 to 1966 I would like to make a
>few observations.
>If you are concerned with wide-open f/2 on the early 35mm f/2
>Summicron ( I own a bug-eye one) remember the following...
>Lens tests are performed ( I hope) on a tripod. When we make
>pictures with our lens wide-open at f/2 it's generally done
>hand-held and at a relatively slow shutter speed, such as 1/30 or
>1/60 sec. Image results at slow shutter speeds are usually
>not as sharp as at high shutter speeds, such as 1/250 or 1/500 sec.
>I suspect that camera and/or subject shake have more to do
>with sharpness than the optical quality of the 35mm f/2
>Summicron, vintage 1968.
>Another consideration is that tests are usually done on a flat plane.
>So when edges are not so sharp wide-open, it could be caused by
>curvature of field. But so what, I rarely use my Summicron to
>photograph flat subjects. People, scenes, happenings have depth.
>Shoot pictures, not lens test charts. This could be a reason
>for not buying the new high-priced fancy lenses. I paid about
>$175 for my 50mm f/2 DR Summicron just three or four years ago.
>Another wonderful lens....Ed Meyers

Hi Ed,

I agree entirely with what you wrote above. I decided to buy one of the
last  35mm f/2.0 Summicrons as the lens is extremely compact compared to
the new f/2.0 and f/1.4 asphericals. I also mark the best aperture on the
lens by changing the white of the engraved aperture number in green. Has
been useful to me for some pictures where definition was key and does not
impact normal picture taking. The quality of the old spherical 35mm f/2,0
indeed is excellent.

Gerard Captijn.