Subject: Re: Noctilux 50/1 versus 50/1,2
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 16:12:54 -0400

At 11:59 AM 9/16/97 -0500, Eric Welch, an argumentative cuss, but a man of
great worth and merit, wrote:
>At 10:25 AM 9/13/97 -0400, you wrote:
>
>>Peter Dechert, no mean critic, has used both versions professionally and
>
>Well, if he says so, I'll have to accept it. I respect his opinion. Never
>heard of Fletcher.
>
>>The number of f/1.2 lenses sold was minuscule, perhaps less than 500;  I
>>doubt if many more than this of the f/1 have been sold.  I find it
>>surprising that you apparently know a number of professionals who have used
>>both:  the above two are the only pros of my acquaintance who have used
>>EITHER, much less both, of these lenses.
>
>There are a bunch of the 1.0 lenses out. I personally know of at least 20
>people who use them, and looking in shutterbug, there's got to be at least
>15 or 20 for sale somewhere most of the time.

You might want to look again.  There are generally none of these lenses for
sale and, if one appears, it will be the only one in an issue.  These
lenses are RARE.  (Talk to Jim Kuehl, or Chatterton, or Arnie Duren, or the
Tillises, or Tamarkin:  they may see one a year, but no more than that.)  I
would appreciate your referring me to an issue of the 'Bug in the last 2
years where '15 or 20' Noctiluxes are listed.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!