Subject: Re: Noctilux 50/1 versus 50/1,2
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 11:59:28 -0500

At 10:25 AM 9/13/97 -0400, you wrote:

>Peter Dechert, no mean critic, has used both versions professionally and

Well, if he says so, I'll have to accept it. I respect his opinion. Never
heard of Fletcher.

>The number of f/1.2 lenses sold was minuscule, perhaps less than 500;  I
>doubt if many more than this of the f/1 have been sold.  I find it
>surprising that you apparently know a number of professionals who have used
>both:  the above two are the only pros of my acquaintance who have used
>EITHER, much less both, of these lenses.

There are a bunch of the 1.0 lenses out. I personally know of at least 20
people who use them, and looking in shutterbug, there's got to be at least
15 or 20 for sale somewhere most of the time. It's been in production since
about '78. Maybe a bit earlier? It was introduced in Leica photography (the
U.S. version) in the same issue as the R3 and the 180 apo telyt. I wish I
could find that issue.

From what I've read, most users of the 1.0 Noctilux love it and talk about
it's ability to render extreme contrast situations with great ease.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
Canadian DOS prompt: EH