Subject: definition of "Bokeh"
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 12:46:09 -0700

At 04:50 PM 9/19/97 -0400, Marvin wrote:
>  The simple meaning of all this "bokeh" is getting corrupted by misuse.
> The meaning as applied to lenses is just the characteristic of the out
> of focus area.  This is usually an after-effect of the aberations of the
>glass
> or even the number of leaves in the iris.  Certain types of out of focus-
> ness lead to more emphasis on the primary object.  If everything in the
> photo was needle sharp - their would be no "bokeh".  Some photos are
> better for having all planes in focus and others have no impact at all.
>  I think of it as having a spot-light on the key subject with the back-
>  ground subdued.
>
>  Marvin (bokeh) Moss

I'm going to post this again, hoping everyone will take the bait...

"A PRIMER ON BOKEH"
   1. What is Bokeh
   2. Notes on the terminology of Bokeh
   3. A technical view of Bokeh

Photo Techniques, May/June 1997 issue.

Back issues available from the publisher:

Peterson Publishing
6600 W. Touhy
Niles, IL 60714 - 4588
(847) 647-2900