Subject: Re:
From: "Michiel Fokkema" <mfokkema@pop3.worldaccess.nl>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 22:20:51 +0000

> <<<< Has anybody ever used a lens longer than 135mm on the M3 without a
> >      Visoflex?  Perchance, I'm having to do a fair amount of sports
> >      shooting, and a 135mm isn't long enough.>>>>>>
>

> <<< Of course you have to estimate the distance, but on a sunny day with
> 400 asa and the subject not too close that is not much of a problem. For me
> it works very fine.>>>>>
>
> Estimating the distance on a fast moving sport must get you an awful lot of
> missed action!  Because if you are shooting sports there is only one way to
> do it, even with a 300-400mm lens and that is with the lens wide
> open---even on sunny days--- and the highest possible shutter speed as this
> separates the athlete from the background and isolates the action.

Who was talking about fast moving sports?
For me it works fine, maybe not for you.
 I'm just trying to point out that there is a possibility to use a
Leica-M in this way. Of course this isn't the most perfect way to
shoot sports. But I have the equipment to do it this way so why
shouldn't I?

> By estimating with your M camera and a shooting in this fashion is living
> dangerously and will leave you broken hearted with out of focus frames and
> or just missed moments.

At least I'm not running away halfway the game when iI think I've
made the picture I'm looking for as most "pro's" do. Therefore I
never miss a moment.
I make a few good shots. That's enough for me. Fortunately I don't
have to make living out of Photografy.
Anyhow I like to live dangerously.

> <<the subject not too close that is not much of a problem>>>
>
> That is why we have more than one camera hanging around our necks or
> shoulders to capture the moment when they are real close with a wide angle
> or shorter focal length.

Yes, off course you are somewhere in the front, I'm at the
backbenches, if I use a wideangle I only get the head of the guy in
front of me.

> <<< For me it works very fine>>>>>
>
> Not knowing at what level (amateur or professional) you are, it is
> difficult to give deeper advice, but your above  comment implys you might
> be an amateur, as I don't think a pro would even consider using an M camera
> with a 400mm lens to shoot sports. However we all started as amateurs and
> there isn't anything wrong with that, but I'm sure if you were to spend
> money for any added pieces to your M camera, sooner or later you would be
> just ticked off at yourself for wasting the money rather than saving to buy
> an SLR model.

I never mentioned a 400mm and off course I'm an amateur otherwise I wouldn't
use a leica-M to shoot some sports events now and then. But I like it  this way.
It makes me feel like making a real picture myself instead of letting the autofocus
and the autoexposure do the work for me.
 I'm very proud when I have a good picture now and then.
 You don't have to give me any any deeper advise I'm totaly satisfied with this
 solution.

       Greetings,

                                        Michiel.

               Greetings,