Subject: Re: Filters
From: Hans Pahlen <hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 18:20:22 +0200

Jack,
I have always used original Leica UV-filters on my lenses, for the same
reasons as you. A little less than a year ago there was a test of UV
filters in the German Fotomagazin. Their conclusion was that original Leica
or the German B+W filters were the best. Almost all other filters degraded
lens performance.

Earlier, Leica had a factory in Canada that manufactured lenses. Lenses
marked Canada are of this type. Wetzlar is the name of the town in Germany,
where Leicas and lenses were made until a few years ago, when camera
production moved to Solms. In my opinion, there is no difference in
performance between Canada or German made lenses. But some Leica users
prefer "Made in Germany" anyway. I dont care, as it is the same lenses.

Ben Holmes, another LUG-member (where is he nowadys) has published serial
numbers for both lenses and M-bodies at:
http://www.frii.com/~bholmes/photodat.htm

Regards, Hans
Mail: hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se
Mirror URL: http://home2.swipnet.se/~w-24872/