Subject: M6 speed problems
From: Mike Preiss <mpreiss@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 21:11:43 -0700

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I recently bought a =
new M6 and after shooting a few rolls found some inconsistencies in my =
exposures that I didn't think were operator error. To prove myself =
right, I carefully metered my garage door (which happens to be a giant =
gray card!) and shot at 1000, 500, 250, etc. adjusting aperture =
correspondingly, and had a contact sheet printed. So here's the problem: =
it appears the shutter is too fast (ie. underexposing) by about 1 stop =
at 500 and about 2 stops at 1000. Also, at 1000 the shutter speed is =
uneven across the frame, showing 2 darker vertical bars near the left =
edge and 1 darker bar near the right edge. No obvious unevenness at =
other speeds. I tried the same test with my M2 and found no unevenness =
but did find the shutter to be very slightly fast (1/2 stop) at 1000. =
Any comments?