Subject: Re: R lenses
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 18:36:58 +0200

Hello Richard,

sorry it took a while to answer your posting. But I was away for some time.
Here are the results of the French magazine Chasseur d'Images you asked for:

Summilux-R 35/1.4: performance 3 stars (out of 5), price/quality ratio 2,
cote d'amour 3
Although there is no aspherical lens surface they spoke favoribly of this
lens. The main problem of this lens is taht the borders and corners of the
image are noticeably less sharper than the center. They only advise this
lens for those who really need the maximum aperture of 1.4.

Summicron-R 50/2.0: performance 4 stars, price/quality 2, cote d'amour 4
This test once again proves that the Summicron is one of the best 50mm
lenses and one of the references on the marketplace. Excellent performance,
also at maximum aperture.

Elmarit-R 90/2.8: performance 4 stars, price/quality 2, cote d'amour 3
A superb lens and a real classic. Light, easy to hold and excellent quality.
The most logical choice between Leica's 90mm lenses.

Elmarit-R 180/2.8: performance 4 stars, price/quality 1, cote d'amour 2
This lens shows its age. No internal focussing like its competitors. No
comfort whatsoever. Although this lens is generally a good performer, the
testing people were not so enthusiastic as in the past (comparing with the
competition). Urgent overhaul required.

Greetings and happy shooting,

Pascal
Belgium
Message created and sent on a Macintosh PowerBook
<<<PGP public key available on request>>>