Subject: Re: Ralph Gibson/Kate Bush
From: "Steven Blutter" <sblutter@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 14:42:15 -0500

Kate Bush was one of those 'ya had be there' (England in the 70's) sort of
things.

Ralph Gibson is one of those 'ya had to be there' (New York gallery scene
late 60's early 70's) things.  I recall him at many openings - he was
always dark and brooding and very chic.  The NYC publishers ate it up...
and Robert Frank, his artistic compass, wasn't active.  'Newism' or
whatever passes for artistic integrity in NYC is very tempting, especially
when money accompanies praise from critics.  And he was just sexy enough to
be 'naughty'.

He's got a 'look' and has been working it for about 30 years.  I had to
bite my tounge when a friend gave his  last book to me for a birthday
recently.  I preferred the Dennis Hopper, which was also with Leica.

But hey, I'd give a lot to have my incomplete book out!  Better him than an
awful lot of the junk out there.

His focus on shape was an influence on me for a bit... but his emotional
distance is now off-putting.

Steven Blutter

who finds artistic threads just fine - serial numbers leave me cold...