Subject: Re: M6 versus M3
From: David Young <youngs@IslandNet.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 1997 20:07:19

Rich is right about credit cards.

Speaking as a (non-photographic) retailer, unless you are a very well
known, regular customer of the shop where you purchase your M6, ALWAYS use
cash if you want their *best* price. Deal with the owner if you can, and
present the offer you wish to make, and then (very important) show him the
colour of your money!

Any businessman will seriously consider taking a deal that is really not
worth having (so long as it is above his cost) when he knows that if he
says "yes", the cash is his. Cheques, even from known customers, can
bounce. Cash doesn't.

Corollary:

If you make him a lowball offer, and he says "yes", you'd better be
prepared to buy it on the spot. Customers who wave money, get a "yes" to
their offer, and then say they'll "think about it", are not offering to
buy. They're playing games. In my store (and many others) such customers
find that the "yes" holds until they leave. But if they leave without the
merchandise they find when they come back the answer has changed to "no"
and they will not get one cent off the full selling price, cash deal or not.

Bargain hard, but fight fair.

David Young
- -----------

At 08:29 PM 03/10/97 -0400, you wrote:

>>One other question:  How firm are the advertised prices?  Is $1995 it or
>>will dealers deal when you actually get there with plastic in hand??
>>
>>Steve
>

>One small point, Steve.  If you want to 'deal' on a camera (or anything
>else) you don't use plastic.  Stores pay a service charge for accepting
>credit cards, usually 1.6 to 3 percent of the total price, including tax.
>So..... if the dealer knows you, you are always more likely to get a better
>discount with a check.  Or, if the dealer doesn't know you, use CASH.
>Best Regards,
>Rich

Rich and Steve: