Subject: Re: M6 versus M3
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 97 23:11:25 -0400

>While I realize that none of you guys can tell me if it would be worth it
>for me,  the experience of any one who has moved from an earlier M to the
>M6 might be helpful.  Has TTL metering really made that much of a
>difference?

I've used a c. 1960 M3, with both Leicameter and incident meter, for
years and never missed having a TTL meter. However, I bit and bought an
M6 earlier this year when they started the rebate, and I find that I use
it much more than the M3 because of the covenience of the meter. However,
I am always pleasantly surprised by the large image and lack of clutter
in the viewfinder when I go back to the M3 again.

I used to use SLRs for almost all of my professional photography, and I
used my M3 for my personal stuff. Now, after having it since April, I
find that I'm doing a lot more professional work with the M6. One reason
I use the M3 for personal work was that it slows me down and forces me to
think more. The M6 is much faster to use.

People keep mentioning the smoothness of the older bodies versus the M6.
Maybe I'm an uncultured barbarian, but I don't find this to be so. The M3
is definitly heavier, and this makes it more substantial and
solid-feeling. Subjectively, the weight difference feels like more than
the specs would lead you to believe. The one-piece advance lever (which I
like) feels different from the M6 lever with its hinged plastic pad at
the end, but I don't find it to have less of a quality feel to it, and I
don't think it's less smooth.

If you like the classic looks of the M3, with its all-metal levers, etc.,
you may miss these on the M6.

The other thing that feels different is the shutter relase. Because it
also functions as the meter switch, it has a little more slack in it so
that you can switch on the meter by partially depressing it. This gives
it a slightly mushy feel if you are used to the M3. However, this is a
design and not a quality issue.

I also have an M4-2 that was severely beaten by its former owner and is
really ugly; it shows a lot of dings and dents and scrapes and every
raised surface has the black chrome worn off. I often use it if I'm
somewhere where either the new M6 or the bright chrome M3 would attract
unwanted attention. It's in good shape mechanically, and, once again,
other than the differences mentioned above, I don't find it to have a
less well-made feel to it than the M3.

- - Paul