Subject: R8 Focusing Screen Options?
From: MyersPete@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 16:18:08 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Fellow LUGnuts:

I have just returned from my second major test of my R8. I was out in the
Eastern Sierra and into Nevada for three and a half days, 1125 miles - 200
offroad - mostly between 6000-9000 feet. I got severely altitude sick and
returned home with an E. Coli infection, which I am presently recovering
from. "The Trip from Hell", except for the excellent picture taking.

The R8 seemed to work quite well in the field once again. I am using the
28mmROM lens. We will see when the pictures come back from the lab how well
it performed optically.

My one complaint is in the focusing screen; its too rough. It looks gritty.
My 1N screen is very, very smooth in comparison.

I am aware of the screen options that Leica has, but rather think that it
will not solve my problem. Any one have any experience with Maxwell or
another screen supplier in making a custom screen? Ideally, I would like a
grided screen (in thirds), with a center split on the diagonal and a very
smooth screen.

I'll keep the reports coming in on my R8 experinces as the lab yields the
results.

Pete