Subject: Re: R8 Focusing Screen Options?
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 1997 17:15:17 -0700

At 04:18 PM 10/6/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear Fellow LUGnuts:
>
>I have just returned from my second major test of my R8. I was out in the
>Eastern Sierra and into Nevada for three and a half days, 1125 miles - 200
>offroad - mostly between 6000-9000 feet. I got severely altitude sick and
>returned home with an E. Coli infection, which I am presently recovering
>from. "The Trip from Hell", except for the excellent picture taking.
>
>The R8 seemed to work quite well in the field once again. I am using the
>28mmROM lens. We will see when the pictures come back from the lab how well
>it performed optically.
>
>My one complaint is in the focusing screen; its too rough. It looks gritty.
>My 1N screen is very, very smooth in comparison.
>
>I am aware of the screen options that Leica has, but rather think that it
>will not solve my problem. Any one have any experience with Maxwell or
>another screen supplier in making a custom screen? Ideally, I would like a
>grided screen (in thirds), with a center split on the diagonal and a very
>smooth screen.
>
>I'll keep the reports coming in on my R8 experinces as the lab yields the
>results.
>
>Pete

Pete,

I've been using the Uniform Ground Glass with Grid in my R4's, R6's, & now
R7's. It's 14 306 for the R7 and 14 346 for the R8. The grid helps keep the
horizon and verticals straight. The universal screen supplied in all R
cameras is a waste. The split garbage in the center is simply in the way.
Use a long lens with an extender and it goes black. As far as grainieness
(sp) goes, well... I've gotten used to it. I don't see it anymore.

Jim