Subject: Who's not so bright..........
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 9:20:14 -0500

Eric Welch wrote:

>And a bright screen with no "contrast" which might be perceived as
grain,
>is more difficult to focus than a less bright viewfinder with
contrast. So
>the R8 probably needs some "teeth" in the focusing screen to give it
the
>ability to not only be bright, but accurate.

Maybe my super? bright laser-matte (without split or other focusing
aids) SJ screens in the Canon F-1n's have teeth because I can focus
anywhere easily with any lens I own.   But I cannot focus easily with
any lens well in the matte area of their standard split screen.

Brighter is better in my opinion and if I can't focus in the matte area
of the screen,  I might as well use a M camera.

I showed my M-6 to a old R-3 user the other day.  My oh my did he
drool.  Now I know what I used look like when I saw one in a store.

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador

Disclaimer:  I was not implying that Eric is not bright.  If you think
he isn't.... look at his web page.  Also if you get a chance, you
really should visit the pages of other regulars to the list.  Harrison
has some really nice stuff (too bad it was shot with Canon????, fess up
Harrison)    I haven't looked at all of the LUGger' pages yet either.
I don't have a page yet although I would like to put one together of my
photos of Ecuador to help further promote HCJB, if only I had the
time..... I will announce it though when it happens.