Subject: M Body grips
From: "Boreham" <boreham@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 07:47:13 +0100

I've not seen any comment on these in the LUG and would be interested in
others' views. (I'm referring to Leica's own version, not the earlier
independant type produced in the US).
I have one on each of my M6s and have a love hate relationship with them. I
definitely prefer the handling for normal use, but it spoils the classic M
appearance and compactness. With a Viso III fitted there isn't enough space
for my fingers between the grip and the viso's mirror mode knob, although
this is a combination where  the benefit would be greatest.
I occasionally use an M6 with a Metz 45 CL4 with the M6 in a
machined-from-solid aluminium cradle (picked up at camera fair). With the
grip on, it wouldn't fit the cradle without some modifications. Having done
these it's now easy to hold the whole  assembly with the right hand only
without overstressing anything as the cradle supports the grip. (Hope I
won't be thrown out of the LUG for admitting I sometimes use flash with an
M....I don't do it very often, promise).
Mike