Subject: BAS? (was: Summarit BAS Test: not bad)
From: Kari Eloranta <kve@dopey.hut.fi>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 13:33:38 +0300 (EET DST)

> From: Lucien_vD <Lucien_vD@compuserve.com>
>
> I just find in a Foto Magazin Extra (January 90) the result of both the
> tests of the Summarit and the Summilux 50/1,4 (test date 4/89) (BAS tests=
> )
>
> Leitz Summarit 1,5/50 mm(alt) : Optik 8,4 / Mechanik 9,6
> Leica Summilux-M 1,4/50 mm    : Optik 9,2 / Mechanik 9,6
>
> By comparaison
>
> Nikkor 1,8/50 mm  : Optik 8,5 / Mechanik 9
> (test date 5/86)
> Nikkor 1,4/50 mm  : Optik 9,8 / Mechanik 9
> (test date 5/88)
> Canon FD 1,4/50 mm: Optik   7 / Mechanik 8
> (test date 11/85)
> Canon EF 1,8/50 mm: Optik   9 / Mechanik 9,4
> (test date 10/87)
snip

I find it a bit hard to believe some of these numbers.

Over the years I've owned several Canon FD 1.4/50's and 1.8/50 early on.
The common wisdom among users is that the 1.4 is a very, very fine lens,
both optically and mechanically. In Canon lineup of 50's the 1.8 has
always been considered to be inferior to 1.4 both optically and
mechanically. My experience supports both evaluations 100%.

I haven't shot same test targets with Canon 1.4/50 and my other 50,
Summicron-M, the next to the latest edition. But looking at my thousands
of images with these I'm fairly sure the Leica has a bit better glass.
What is equally clear to me that the Canon is mechanically superior. The
mechanics of FD (not so with FDn anymore) is extremely good. The finish
and fit you feel rightaway. And it hasn't developed any slack over the
years which tells something about materials.

Just a quick test for anyone doubting the mechanical quality issue.
Look at both the Summicron and FD into the barrel. The FD has silky smooth
matte metal all over. On the other hand e.g. the iris ring (that operates
the blades) inside the lens of the Summicron is rather uneven. When I
first saw it though this is like some russian stuff. Probably doesn't
affect optical performance but it is nowhere near the quality of the
other lens.

Anyone else getting the impression of BAS pulling home a bit?

Kari