Subject: Re: What is a Leica
From: Jim Zietz <jzietz@unix1.sncc.lsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 10:12:28 -0500

>From: Jeff Moore <jbm@instinet.com>
>Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 11:22:28 -0400
>Subject: Re: What is a Leica
>
>So, y'all have no problem with the backwards focus and aperture rings on
>Nikons?  I bought a Canon a few years back partly on the theory that that
>would make me insane.  Was I thinking too much?
>
>(FWIW, the rest of the the reasons included how remarkably quickly one can
>work with the EOS-1, and the strides Canon seemed to be making with zooms.
>But while I remain impressed with the the awesome effectiveness of the EOS-1
>as a picture-taking machine, I still don't really *like* it...  it tends to
>collect a patina of dust while my M6 collects scuffs and fingerprints and
>pictures.)
>
>- -J

I used Nikon exclusively until 1976 when I got my first Leica. It was an M5
with 35 and 90 mm  Summicrons. I used the Leica more and more, and the
Nikons less and less. I was a college student making a living shooting for
student publications.

I hated the fact that the Nikon was backward from just about everthing else
on the focus and aperture direction. I got very frustrated when shooting
football games with the Nikons. The play would come toward me and I would
focus behind them.

I sold the Nikons (I wasn't about to get rid of my Leica) and bought Canon
F1's. I used the F1's until recently. Now I have EOS1n's. I agree with the
"effectiveness of the EOS1 as a picture-taking machine", but I just hate
having to spin a dial on the back of the camera body to change the
aperture. I think Nikon was smart here to keep the aperture ring on the
lens.

I still make a living as a photographer at the same university, only now I
work for the PR department. I have gone through many Leicas including 4
M3's, an M2, and 2 M5's. Now I have one M6 with a new 35/1.4, a mid-70's
50/1.4 and a mid-80's 90/2. At my office, I have two M3's with a 35/2.8, a
50/2 dr, a 90/2.8 and a 135/2.8. Although I think Nikon has some excellent
lenses, I don't miss my old Nikons.

Maybe one day I will change to Leica slr's, but so far I'm not enticed by
any of the camera bodies. And I hear Canon has some new camera with
40-point autofocus that's supposed to take these cameras to the next level.
It will be available in film or digital. But I bet it still has the stupid
dial on the back of it!