Subject: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #703
From: Jim Zietz <jzietz@unix1.sncc.lsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 09:17:38 -0500

>From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
>Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 08:33:15 -0400
>Subject: Meters
>
>At 07:32 AM 10/23/97 -0400, Alan D Newman wrote:
>>Today I purchased an M-4p as a back-up body for my M-6. My question is what
>>meter would you recommend for the M-4P. I was offered an MR-4 for $200 but
>>felt that this was an old meter and I don't know how reliable it is. The
>>other meter I was considering is the Sekonic 308BII. Thanks for any help.
>
>The MR-4 is a grand meter.  It is easily repaired, quite accurate, and
>meshes nicely with the 90mm frameline for close metering.  It is highly
>recommended.
>
>However, I would recommend buying a broken one, as these can be had for $50
>or so, then sending it off to Quality Light Metric for repair and
>calibration.  That will give you a refurbished and accurate meter designed
>to Leica specifications to work with your Leica camera.
>
>Marc
>
>Marc James Small
>Cha Robh Bas Fir, Gun Ghras Fir!
>FAX:  +540/343-7315

I would recommend the Sekonic 308BII. I bought one recently, as it was
recommended very highly by the LUG group. I am very happy with it. It's
small, accurate and easy to use.

On the other hand, I have had several MR-4 meters. I never had one that
gave an accurate reading, and I don't like the vagueness of the area it
meters. It is only a reflected-light averaging meter. The Sekonic is also
an incident meter.

I still have one MR-4 meter. I would like to get it working properly and
give it another chance, as the M3 does look cool with the MR-4 sitting on
top (even though it is useless to me as a meter).So, Marc, do you have an
address or telephone number for Quality Light Metric?

Thanks...