Subject: Re: Would Perfect Lens have Bokeh?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 10:10:11 -0500

At 05:53 AM 10/16/97 -0400, you wrote:

> IF YOU WERE TO MAKE A PERFECT LENS - that is - one without any
> aberations at all =3D would that lens have no bokeh regardless of if it=
 was=20
> a Leica, Canon, Nikon or whatever OR is the bokeh caused by those
> chromozones that we call aberations? =A0****************************

Marvin,=20

Sorry we seem to disagree on almost everything. I like to breath. I like
good food, I like women who aren't on prozac. (i.e. just had a blind date,
and surprise!) =A0I'm sure we have other things in common. :-)

On this interesting subject, bokeh is probably affected by aberrations, but
not totally. It is also just an effect based on the shape of the aperture,
and many characteristics based on the correction of aberrations (a lens
with no aberrations would be so because of these corrections, right?)
=A0peculiar to that lens.

I've noticed the performance of my new 35mm Summilux ASPH. has some very
interesting characteristics. (My web page opening picture is taken with
that lens wide open in a dark , contrasty situation and Fuji 800 neg.
film). =A0I'd say I like the bokeh, but I'm just beginning to learn this len=
and its characteristics. And it's love at =A0first sight. Dang near the
perfect lens.

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

God is REAL, unless explicitly declared INTEGER.