Subject: Re: Would Perfect Lens have Bokeh?
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 01:28:10 +0200

At 10:10 16.10.1997 -0500, Eric wrote on the origin/ type of 'bokeh':
>It is also just an effect based on the shape of the aperture,

Based on this statement, two things came thru my mind:

(1) If I remember correct it was mentionend (by Marc and/ or Marvin) some
days ago, that the Summitar was produced with different apertures (hexagonal
vs. many blades).

(2) Usually, a bokeh is hardly visible if you stop down to f 8, 11, 16,
except when the in-focus subject is rather close, e.g. 1.5 to 2 meter.

Let's suppose, a pic shows raindrops with sun reflections on grass/ or in a
meadow on a distance between 1.5 and 3 meters.

Do you, or does anybody know, whether both lenses differ just in the
management of the strong contrasts (6 vs many rays of the sun's
reflections), or do they differ in the management of the out-of-focus areas
additionally (because of the different shape of the apertures)?

Alf