Subject: Re: penury
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 10:57:13 -0700

At 06:44 AM 10/17/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Eric Welch wrote:
>
>> Speaking of mobs, if it's a herd of cattle, or a gaggle of geese, what do
>> you call a group of photographers?
>>=20
>> A complaint.
>
>Eric,
>
>My suggestion some time ago was a "penury  of Leica photographers."  But
>how about a squabble of LUGnuts?
>
>Donal Philby

Just so those of you, like me, who didn't know what "penury" meant, I
looked it up in Webster...

Main Entry: pen=B7u=B7ry
Pronunciation: 'pen-y&-rE
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin penuria, paenuria want; perhaps akin
to Latin paene almost
Date: 14th century
1 : a cramping and oppressive lack of resources (as money); especially :
severe poverty
2 : extreme and often niggardly frugality
synonym see POVERTY=20

Thanks Donal, both were right on!

Jim