Subject: Re: 35 & 50 M lenses??
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 13:55:09 -0400

At 11:46 AM 10/18/97 CDT, Richard Hemingway queried about certain M lenses.

The CURRENT 1.4/50 Summilux -- the formula made since '61 -- is superb.
The first version of the 1.4/50 is just another Xenon and is a bit soft.
Besides, these are so rare that these are now fast becoming collector
specials.

The 1.4/35 Summilux, now out of production, is a lens I have used for some
years now.  I have also used all of the non-aspherical versions of the 2/35
Summicron.  I have not encountered the flare problem of which others
complain.  Roger Hicks' comments are worthy of respect:  at f/1.4, the
Summilux blows the Summicron into the weeds!

If it were my choice, I would recommend the 1.4/50 unreservedly and the
1.4/35 with a request that many have complained of flare with this lens
when shooting contre-jour.

However, my 1.4/50, lovely lens though it is, generally gets passed by for
a DR Summicron, and, for the little wide-angle work I do, a Russian 2.8/35
Jupiter-12 is more likely my lens of choice.

I would also suggest you consider an LTM 1.5/50 Jupiter-3 or 2/50
Jupiter-8.  These are inexpensive lenses and the later ones are
multi-coated.  The Bertele designs are magnificent.

Best,

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!