Subject: Getting serious
From: "Garbutt, Robert" <RGarbutt@ncrpexec.telstra.com.au>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 12:21:00 +1000

I'm slow off the mark and have sat on the LUG for a millenium as an
complete fraud (ie non-Leica owner) but I have been listening.  Now
things are getting serious - I have applied to increase the limit on my
MasterCard.

My shopping list  (comments please, including preferred hoods.  I want
to shoot B&W and colour with what  follows)  :

M6 - yes, I know that this is not the best body for my preferred lenses
(50mm and up) but I am wimping out in favour of a built in meter and a
newer (hah!) design.  If I go retro it will be a LTM so my Nettar has
someone it can talk to who understands.

50mm - well I am at a loss but wavering between a newer style Summilux
or a DR Summicron.  I am leaning to the Summilux.   I am a
narrow-as-possible-DOF-junkie *but* considering f/1.4 or f/2 there's not
so much difference in DOF wide open *but* close focusing would be nice
on the DR *but* at f/1.4 the extra shutter speed would be nice at night
on the Summilux.  So confused - quality of glass matters.   My dream is
a Noct but its probably not the best for all round use (ie daytime) from
what I have read.  Convince me otherwise - please.

90mm  - sounds to me like the Elmarit is the go.  What is a Tele as
opposed to a non-Tele?  Why are some 'fat'?  And why can't I have
everything I want?

Thanks for any help with this, and for all technical (and other)
discussions to date.   Its a great group.

Regards,
Rob.